Thursday 31 December 2015

This New Year sef

Hmmm… where do I start? It’s been ages on this page. And believe me, a a lot of water and tears have passed under the bridge.
I had a lot of losses the year before (2014) and in the early part of 2015 which was like a strike on the face of the commitment from God-no losses whatsoever.
God in his usual too-faithful-to-fail way ENSURED I experienced loads of deliverances and that I didn’t lose a pin in 2015. My guardian angels must have worked over time, probably sprouting a strand or two of grey hair at some of the tight corners I got myself into this year. From one-chance motors, to fire-outbreaks that made national headlines, to accidents, to as recently as day before yesterday, deliverance from the “funmi phone” guys that operate in traffic, 
God has been so, so awesome.
It has also been a year of firsts for me. A lot of things I hitherto imagined, I have experienced first-hand in this year. Not all has been worthy of my calling, but then, that is a story for another day. Mercy kept me, so I give thanks.
Now I am going to be very honest. This year isn’t ending the way I envisioned, and prayed and planned it was gonna end.  I still have a number of unrealised dreams.
For instance, in my dreams, I am on vacation at this time of the year, with my special someone beside me while we get ready for the fire-works spiritual, physical and the other physical one, to usher in the new year.
Reality check, I left my work station, barely 20 minutes ago because, I just could not leave earlier. It’s kind of a big deal to me. I can’t get to church for the cross-over service. Cross-over might just be me and my lappy at home streaming. #sadface
Now, to the real koko of the matter.
The New Year.
It’s just like 3 hours, 45 minutes to go (as at when I was typing this)
The thing about the New Year is that it goes beyond the digits that make up its nomenclature. It could be 1906 or 2016, once it is a new year, there is this whole… this whole...c'mon you know what I mean. The word New Year even auto corrects to start with capital letters, like a regular proper noun - a fact I just realised as I typed it. 
Thanks to the Christmas season, which is barely a week ago, we often end the year and anticipate the new one with new things (at least a lot of us do)- new toys, new clothes (not always the right size, colour or fit), new pounds (and I mean the type on your body, not the sterling currency, lol), a new Calender on the wall, new bills to pay (oh the joys of January)and the big one- new year resolutions.

I have never been a big fan of the whole new year resolution stuff. I have always believed, still do actually, that any day can be a new day. Every day is the best day to start afresh, be it the 0-1 of the 0-1 or the 3-1 of the 1-0. But in keeping up with trends, I went ahead to still make new year resolutions. That is, until a couple of years ago when I just completely gave up. I told myself, 'Success, listen up girl, no more of this "new year, new me" mantra for you'. No, I didn't find a better way. 
I just became jaded. First, none of my resolutions in retrospect appeared grandiose enough for the drama I associated with making them (I remember vividly in 2013 resolving to always eat breakfast, I know, I know, you are probably wondering who does that?). Consequently, I do not give them the required commitment, which results in me barely keeping my resolutions beyond the first 2 weeks of the New Year, except of course for the resolution to stop making resolutions. (I kept true for a complete 2 years, may be because it is a once in a year kind of thing). BTW, that breakfast resolution was broken on that same New Year day. Not only did I not get breakfast or lunch, dinner was an apology.

So as I sit in Apongbon heading straight from work to church (I will be crossing over to 2016 without even freshening up), my mind turns to meditating as it often does. God has earlier given me My Word for the new year (2016) and here was I asking Him for clarification. Truth be told, I feel a bit unprepared for 2016. It seems to me there is a little important aspect missing. 

Then I start "hearing in my spirit". 

Everybody likes new things, including God.
Inspite of his pet name Ancient of days, the Arugbo-ojo, extends this wonderful invite: “remember not the former things, nor consider the things of old. Behold I am doing, a new thing. Now it springs forth do you not see it?”  Isaiah 43:19.


Come to think of it, the bible starts with the story of God doing a new thing. Creating a whole new world of galaxies and fishes and plants and animals and man, and of course, woman and it ends with God’s plans to make a new heaven and a new earth.

Established, God is in this new thing. "What about my unpreparedness?" I muse. Then Isaiah 65 pops into my head. (I recommend you read the entire chapter). Just like that, I see it clearly, God intends new things. He is interested in them. He originates them. He plans them. He orchestrates them. Above all, He wants us to step into and enjoy them.

 Col 3: 9 talks about us doing away with our “old self with its practices” while Eph 4:24  admonishes us to ”put on our new self created to be like God in true righteousness and holiness”

Dear friend, we would explore this in full later next year, which is just about 3 hours, 8 minutes away.  For now, we have to focus and sharpen our expectation for the cross-over service. Yea, I made it to an alternate cross-over service venue with 10 minutes to spare. Thankful for the minimal vehicular traffic on Eko bridge, talk about Divine Orchestration of new things.

Suddenly I am fully expectant, rearing to go and much more thankful for yet another new package. Join me, let's step into this New Year with all of us- spirit, soul and body. 2016 has my name on it, I betchya it's same for you.

OK. Enough said. I gotta post this now. Service starts in 60 seconds.


See you in your multiplied state in about 3 hours.

Welcome to 2016...and don't forget to share your resolutions.


God bless you.

No comments:

Post a Comment